You are thinking about starting a family and want to make sure you’re in the best possible health to grow a tiny human…but you don’t know where to start. Dr. Kinga, our staff Naturopath, recommends preparing for pregnancy and conception about 6 months to one year before conception.
So what is Naturopathic Medicine? It's a natural, holistic, and non-invasive approach to medicine that can treat an array of conditions and symptoms.
- Stress management
- Mental/emotional health
- Promoting and supporting proper detoxification
- Assessing and addressing hormone balance
- Addressing nutritional deficiencies and
- Identifying a healthy and individualized diet
Our naturopath, Dr. Kinga, may use the following modalities during your appointment:
- Clinical nutrition and supplementation
- Botanical/Herbal medicine
- Lifestyle modification
- Acupuncture and traditional Chinese Medicine
Let's Help You Find What You Looking For!
Naturopathic Medicine For Fertility
Perhaps you have had a difficult time getting pregnant, or you have suffered through miscarriages. Naturopathic medicine can support your own natural fertility, or also support you through traditional fertility treatment. We can help you achieve your goal of having a baby.
Some of the underlying causes of fertility issues that can be treated with Naturopathic medicine include:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS),
- Hormonal imbalance
- Hypothyroidism and thyroid disease
- Poor egg quality
- Low ovarian reserve
- Luteal phase defect
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Unexplained infertility
Naturopathic Medicine During Pregnancy
While pregnancy is truly special, sometimes the ailments and discomforts that may accompany it may zap your pregnancy glow and make daily living more difficult than it should be. There are a number of ways Naturopathic medicine can help manage many of these issues.
Common pregnancy concerns effectively managed through Naturopathic medicine include:
- Gestational Diabetes
- Constipation and Gas
- Immune issues (Frequent Colds/Illness)
- Leg cramps
- Reducing risk of Group B Strep colonization, etc.
Naturopathic medicine can help support a healthy pregnancy by utilizing proper diet, herbs and nutritional supplementation specific to a woman’s individualized needs in each trimester.
As your pregnancy nears its end our Naturopath can help you prepare for smoother labour and recovery. Naturopathic medicine can help during pregnancy with:
- Breech, transverse and posterior presentation with acupuncture and/or homeopathics
- Postdates labour induction with acupuncture, herbs and homeopathics
- Nutritional/herbal support for an easier labour
- Post-partum recovery with herbs, homeopathics and nutrients
Postnatal Naturopathic Care
The first three months after birth, or the ‘fourth trimester’, is a time for recovery.
It's also a time for bonding with baby and adjustment to a new routine; whether it’s with baby number one or baby number four. Sometimes breastfeeding isn’t as easy as we think it will be, or our emotions don’t settle back to normal (whatever that is!) after the first six weeks. Emotional and physical support during the fourth trimester can make all the difference in how well a woman recovers and her success with breastfeeding.
Naturopathic medicine can be invaluable during this time providing support for the new mom with post-partum recovery
- Pain management
- Vaginal/perineal healing
- C-section healing
- Breastfeeding issues, including help with determining food sensitivities
- Post-partum depression/anxiety and other mood issues
Naturopathic Treatment For Pediatric Health
Naturopathic doctors can provide primary care to your child through all stages, effectively dealing with the any and all health issues that your little one might be faced with.
Naturopathic medicine can help your little one with:
- Feeding issues
- Digestive issues: colic, gas, reflux, constipation, diarrhea
- Skin issues: rashes/eczema/psoriasis/cradle cap
- Allergies/food sensitivities
- Immune support: frequent colds/flus, ear infections, fever
- Sleep issues
- Mood, attention and behavioural issues
- Developmental delays and autism spectrum disorders
What Is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopaths views health from a holistic perspective taking into account the various factors that impact health including physical dysfunction, mental/emotional stress, diet/nutrition, environmental burden, genetics and family history.
The ultimate goal in Naturopathy is to determine and treat the root cause of an illness or symptom by supporting the body’s internal efforts to heal, restoring balance and sustaining optimal health. Naturopathic doctors use a number of modalities to treat a variety of health issues.
Treatment can include clinical nutrition, physical medicine, traditional Chinese medicine/acupuncture, herbal medicine, stress management and homeopathy.
Naturopathic Medicine Principles
There are a number of principles that govern the practice of Naturopathic medicine.
- First do no harm
- Naturopathic doctors use the most non-invasive therapies with few, if any, side effects in order restore optimal health.
- The healing power of nature
- The body has an innate ability to heal itself; Naturopathic Doctors support this ability by identifying and removing obstacles to cure and providing the framework for optimal health.
- Identify and treat the cause
- Its not enough to remove the symptoms; the goal of Naturopathic medicine is to treat the root cause, figure out why the symptoms were present to begin with and ultimately remove the underlying cause of disease.
- Doctor as teacher
- This is one of the most important roles a doctor plays in a patient’s life. Naturopathic doctors take this role seriously, educating and empowering patients to take charge of their health.
- Treat the whole person
- Naturopathic doctors treat the person, not the disease. They recognize that optimal health can only be achieved when the whole person is addressed; their diet, mental/emotional, and physical state as well as their genetics, family history and any environmental/social factors impacting their health.
- Focus is always on disease prevention, promoting optimal health and wellness.
Complementary Services & Treatments
We provide a holistic approach to treatment, and have a wide variety of services that compliment each other. Click on the links below for more information about how our other services can help you on your path to motherhood.